The primary purpose of the LA Retirement Fund is to provide the best possible retirement outcome for all our members, retirees and pensioners. By participating in the 2021 trustee election process you have the opportunity to ensure that your interests are adequately represented and to make your vote count!
The fund currently has the following vacancy on the Board:
- one member elected trustee
This position must be filled by 01 January 2021.
Duties of a trustee:
- Take all reasonable steps to ensure that the interests of members in terms of the Rules of the Fund and the provisions of the Act are protected at all times;
- Act with due care, diligence and good faith;
- Avoid conflicts of interest;
- Act independently;
- Act with impartiality in respect of all members and other beneficiaries;
- Ensure that proper accounts, entries, registers and records of the operations of the Fund are kept;
- Ensure that adequate and appropriate information is communicated to the members and other beneficiaries informing them of their rights, benefits and duties in terms of the Rules, subject to such disclosure requirements as may be prescribed;
- Ensure that contributions are paid timeously to the Fund in accordance with the Rules and the Act;
- Obtain expert advice on matters where the Board of Trustees lacks sufficient expertise;
- Ensure that the Rules and the operation and administration of the Fund comply with all applicable legislation and any legally binding ruling laid down by the Registrar or the revenue authorities;
- Keep registers containing the information prescribed by the regulations to the Act at the Fund’s registered office;
- Determine the manner of dealing with expenses of the Fund not provided for in the Rules;
- Ensure that the assets of the Fund are kept in the name of the Fund or in the name of a nominee company approved by the Registrar;
- Arrange for the safekeeping of all title deeds and other securities belonging to or held by the Fund and for the marking of those documents so as to easily establish at any time that the documents belong to or are held by the Fund; and
- Comply with any other prescribed requirements.
The Board of Trustees currently meets once every second month for a two-day Board meeting and the trustees appointed to the Audit Sub-Committee are required to attend three annual sub-committee meetings.
The Election Process
The election process consists of two phases:
Please click on the language of your choice to read more on the election process or nominate a suitable candidate: